This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Madness: FFRF challenges Wichita State’s basketball chaplain

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has sent a letter to the president of Wichita State University after learning that the public Kansas college empl...

The Freedom From Religion Foundation has sent a letter to the president of Wichita State University after learning that the public Kansas college employs a team chaplain for its Sweet 16-bound basketball team.

FFRF is a national state/church watchdog with more than 21,500 nonreligious members nationwide, including over 150 members in Kansas.

While the university refers to chaplain Steve Dickie as a "character coach," media reports and players make it clear that his role is religious, and often identify him as a chaplain. Dickie leads the team in prayer and blesses team dinners.

Those people need to mind their own business. I would bet that the number of WSU basketball players who think they are having religion forced on them is precisely zero.

Comment

They should move to Saudi Arabia or Russia and continue their work.

Comment

These people need to get a life.

Comment

I don't see how this could possibly be an issue. Unless it is made mandatory by coaches to attend religious gatherings held by a chaplain, this is a non-issue. As a former D-1 athlete, I've always had a team chaplain/minister available. It was never made a requirement by coaches to attend gatherings. Nothing to see here. Just a bunch of attention whores looking for attention.
          Once a Shocker, Always a Shocker-- RIP Guy Alang-Ntang

Shocker Basketball=Life

Comment

It's sad that one of them is a WSU grad. Go get a real job, and stop bothering people.

Comment

KWCH mentioned it on their news tonight and said a letter was also sent to KU, Virginia and other schools that have chaplains.

Comment

What these jerks don't realize is religion is actually pretty important to a lot of people. Including some of our fine young basketball players.

Comment

Shame on our local media outlets for giving these idiots the attention they were hoping for.

Rest assured our university general counsel is no moron and everything is as it should be, just as I'm sure it is at the other schools who received the same letters.

Comment

Reading their article, it turns out many universities have chaplains, including many teams in the tournament. I'm not saying that God favors these teams. However, I think the characters of the players are what make them good: calm, disciplined, ...
                    Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

Remember the issue a couple of years ago with the sign in one of Buhler's parks because it had a cross on it? Same group.

Comment

Is this FFRF group part of ISIS? Sounds about the same to me. Sheesh...
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                        Number of Times Ranked: 157
                        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                        #3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                        #2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                          Is this FFRF group part of ISIS? Sounds about the same to me. Sheesh...
                          I get what you're trying to say, extreme beliefs, but there is a wide chasm between simply being annoying and the atrocities and murder of ISIS.

Comment

150 kansans?

Damn KState basketball fans!
                            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

There's no such thing as freedom from religion. Ignore the lunatics.
                              Originally posted by BleacherReport
                              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                              X